How to setup Google My Business for local SEO
Google My Business is a free tool that lets you manage how your business appears on Google Search and Maps. Setting up a Google My Business page is a must do for every business.
What are the benefits of setting up a Google My Business?
- The most important benefit is that your business will appear in the local search results.
- If your business is nearby, you will appear in the search results.
- It is also free. Consider this as free advertising on Google.
What are the requirements of setting up a Google My Business?
- Not every business can setup up a Google My Business.
- You will need to have a physical address that Google can post a verification letter.
- PO BOX are not allowed.
How to setup Google My Business for local SEO?
It is very simple, visit https://www.google.com/intl/en_au/business/ and click on Start Now link that is located on the top right corner. You will need a Gmail account to Log In and then it is simply a matter of following the prompts. See our slideshow for the step by step process.
How do you use Google My Business for best results?
- Every time you do a job, ask the customer for reviews.
- Keep reviews current as Google shows the review date.
- Respond to customer positive and negative reviews.
A photo speaks a thousand words. The more photos the better.
- If you are a tradie, post photos of your equipment, van or recent jobs you have done.
- If you are a restaurant, post photos of your meals and menu
- If you are a shop front, post photo of you key selling products. Photos of your store inside and outside.
Write about your thoughts:
- Give tips. If you are a tradie, write about to solve problems.
- Tips will not lose you business because it will show how competent you are in your job.
- Review the latest product you have, what are the benefits of it.
- If you are restaurant, talk about your latest menu item, how it is made, what ingredients, how fresh it is.
What if I do not want people to know your address?
There is an option to hide your address. When you add your address, leave the following option unchecked. I also serve customers at my business address. (Your address will be hidden from the public if this box isn’t checked.)
Can I get Google My Business if I have no physical address?
No. Google will send out a verification letter. It has to be a physical address and must not be a PO Box
Can I hide Google My Business from showing my actual location?
Yes. Google My Business can hide your physical location and only show the suburbs that you service. This is good if you provide services. For example
- An electrician
- A plumber
- A locksmith
- A website designer
Can I have multiple locations of Google My Business?
Yes. As long as you have multiple physical address where the Google My Business verification code can be posted.
Can i group my reviews from the multiple locations of Google My Business?
No. Your reviews will be in independant for each location
What are the advantages of having multiple locations of Google My Business?
The biggest advantage is that your business will appear on search results for different suburbs. A greater reach. However you will have to update the locations with more content.