What makes good SEO?
SEO stands for “search engine optimization”. It is the process of getting traffic from the unpaid search results.
- There are over 200 Google ranking factors.
- We have listed the top 10 SEO ranking factors that are relevant in 2020.
- Websites will take 4 – 6 months before seeing results from implementing our top 10 SEO techniques.
1. Focus on 1 topic with unique content
Google loves to see content that answers a users question. Unique content that does not appear anywhere else on the internet.
- Focus on 1 topic and do not go off on tangents.
- Answer how, why, what and should questions.
- Keep things simple
- Use bullet points
- Short sentences
- Keep content readability easy
- Use active voice and not a passive voice.
A great tool to help with readability is http://www.hemingwayapp.com
2. Meta Tags
Meta tags go hand in had with unique content.
Consider these as mini adverts that appear when people search on google or Bing.
Title meta tag
- 60 character limit.
- A clever title of your web page. Preferably one that starts with How, why, what and should.
- Make it interesting and engaging.
- Avoid using your business name in the title.
Description meta tag
- The purpose of a meta description for your page is to get someone searching on Google to click your link.
- 160 character limit.
- Use an active voice
- Answer questions to the question in the title meta tag.
<title>Title Meta Tag</title> <meta name=”description” content=”Description Meta Tag”> <meta name='robots' content='noindex,follow' /> <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"/> <meta charset="UTF-8">
- Always link to an external website where you get your information from.
- This helps with your web page credibility.
- Look to link to at least 2 – 3 external websites.
- Open a new tab for an external link.
- Link to all your website pages in a structured logical way.
- Users visiting your website can find the page without too much difficulty.
- Create anchors to different sections of your webpage for easy navigation.
BACKLINKS OR INBOUND LINKS
If other reputable websites talk about you or link to your website this is good. Read More on How to get Backlinks
4. Mobile Phone Friendly
- In 2019 there are more mobile devices than desktops.
- Users search more by their mobile than any other device.
- It is important that your website looks perfect on a mobile phone.
- Pages designed for mobile phones will appear first than ones that are not.
5. Page Speed
If a page takes too long to load the user experience gets frustrating.
Page speed is now a big ranking factor when it comes to search results.
Find out more what causes a webpage to load slowly
6. Website Security
- It is important that your website is secure and using https protocol.
- Google ranks websites that use https protocol higher than websites that do not.
- If a hacker compromises your website, google will block access to your website.
7. Image SEO
- Use photos that you have taken yourself
- Avoid stock photos
- Use alt tags to describe the photo
- Rename the filename to a description of the photo
- Optimise the size of the photo to match the screen size of the user.
8. Domain Name
- The domain name should be the same as your business name or brand name.
- Australian businesses should have a .com.au
- Avoid many domains with the same content.
Find out more on what domain name to pick for your website.
9. Google My Business
- Use Google My Business to help with local search results.
- Must have a physical address
- Cannot be PO BOX
Once verified your business information will rank higher for local search results.
Find out more how to setup Google My Business and use it for local SEO.
10. Remove SPAM Comments
- Review comments that link to spam.
- Respond to comments with questions
- Respond to negative comments and try to help find a solution.